The station offers the volunteer program for those interested in protecting the rainforest
Volunteers contribute to the goals of Jatun Sacha Station, which are:
- Preserve and protect native forests.
- Conduct biological research.
- Support community development processes through projects that engage the local community and can receive benefits.
- Improve methods of agriculture in the area through community outreach programs.
How can you help us?
- Center for Plant Conservation Amazon (CCPA): This center has a botanical garden and nursery, they represent a living collection of useful plants in the Amazon basin. Volunteer activities in the center include the collection of seeds, soil preparation, reforestation, forestry experimental tropical trees and maintenance.
- Organic Farm: This is a demonstration farm and therefore education for communities where there is a need for alternative sources of food and income. Volunteers are responsible for maintaining the vegetable garden, soil preparation and compost. In addition, volunteers visit the communities and work on organic farms with families.
- Reforestation in independent communities or on farms.
- English education program for two neighboring communities (only possible from September to June).
- Construction of a new hut at the other end of the reserve in order to have a checkpoint and prevent illegal logging within the reserve.
- Cultural crafts project: For members of neighboring communities as an economic alternative to forest destruction in this region.
- Hiking through the forest accompanied by rangers to collect seeds and learn about the flora and fauna.
- Various activities associated with the development of the reserve, including maintenance and development of infrastructure.