Location: Amazon Region
Nearest City: Tena
The station offers the volunteer program for those interested in protecting the rainforest.
Volunteers contribute to the goals of Jatun Sacha Station, which are:
- Preserve and protect native forests.
- Conduct biological research.
- To support community development processes through projects that engage the local community, and can receive benefits.
- Improve methods of agriculture in the area through community outreach programs.
How can you help us?
- Center for Plant Conservation Amazon (CCPA):This center has a botanical garden and nursery, they represent a living collection of useful plants in the Amazon basin. Here activities are collection of seeds, soil preparation, reforestation, forestry experimental tropical trees and maintenance.
- Organic Farm: It is a demonstration farm and education for communities where there is a search for alternative sources of food and income. Volunteers are responsible for maintaining the vegetable garden, soil preparation and maintenance of the compost. In addition, volunteers visit the communities and work on organic farms with families.
- Reforestation in the season, in the independent communities or on farms.
- English education program with two neighboring communities.
- Construction of a new hut at the other end of the reservation to have a checkpoint and prevent illegal logging within the reserve.
- Cultural craft project: with members of neighboring communities as a resource economic alternative to forest destruction in this region.
- Hiking through the forest accompanied by rangers to collect seeds and learn about the flora and fauna.
- Various activities associated with the development of the reserve, including maintenance and development of infrastructure.